Follow @Vapifier Tweet to @Vapifier

Friday, January 17, 2014

Microcoil on SS in a Genesis

I've been curious about whether or not you can put a microcoil on stainless steel mesh for a few weeks, so today I decided to see if it works, and how well.

First I found the drill bit that fit in my RSST, 1/8 inch fit the bill.


Next I made the microcoil, did ten wraps.


Checked the resistance with the Vamo, came out to 2.3 ohms. I already had a wick that worked perfectly on my normal setup, so I attached the coil and fed it down through. Ended up a bit crooked on the coil. Checked resistance again and it had dropped down to 1.4 ohms. Hmm...


Test fired, looked somewhat promising.



 Tested the vape. Clouds, but the flavor was off.


I vaped on the setup for about an hour to break it in a little bit and see if the flavor improved. It didn't really change much. I used it on my Vamo and my Magneto, but the Vamo worked better since I could pump up the power. At 15 watts it had clouds of vapor, but so-so flavor, and the wick didn't really keep up very well at all. I kept checking the resistance throughout the test and it jumped around constantly, going up to 2.5 ohms and down to 1.3. 

I've come to the conclusion that microcoils don't play nice with SS mesh. If I had to guess, the coil makes just too much contact with the wire and shorts out, sending the power through the wick instead of the coil. If I'd used a genny without the insulated wick hole I wouldn't be surprised if it had never got it to work. Another downside is that building a microcoil with a 1/8 inch diameter bit isn't nearly as easy as on a 5/64th bit. It likes to slip around a lot when you're trying to squeeze the coil and torch it. I don't think I'll ever try that one again, but it satisfied my curiosity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment