Follow @Vapifier Tweet to @Vapifier

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The History of (My) Vaping, Part 2

In 2009 I bought my first device, a Joytech 510 Manual. I shelved it after a month and went back to smoking a pack a day. I had left the vaping world behind and wasn't planning on ever returning to it. I was constantly trying to quit smoking. I tried cold turkey with horrifying results, I tried reducing how much I smoked gradually with limited success, and I went to the patch, I thought successfully. I completed the 3 steps they have you go through and, except for the occasional cigarette, finished the program. It only took about 3 months to relapse.

What happened? A mildly stressful day. Nothing world-breaking, just run-of-the-mill work stress. I was convinced I would never be able to ditch tobacco. I was smoking in the middle of the night so my family wouldn't see me doing it (they knew anyway), otherwise I wouldn't smoke at home. It was a dirty secret. I was ashamed, I was disgusted at myself, and I was unable to stop. It certainly didn't help that the state had upped their famous Sin-Taxes and I was spending about $8.25 daily when we were short on cash.

Fast forward to mid-March of 2013. I was working out in the Sultan, WA area and my pack had run empty, so I swung in to the local smoke shop. Since I had been out there last they had put up a new sign. A Blu sign. I was intrigued. I had seen the Steven Dorff commercials, and I figured hell, if the bad guy from Blade likes them, I might as well give it a try. I bought two disposables for about $16 (still the lowest I've seen those things around here) and right there in the shop the clerk had me test them to make sure they worked. And boy did they work!

You've probably heard a lot of people bad-mouth Blu for various reasons, be it they didn't like the flavor or they didn't like the gimmicky Social Cases or whatever they are, but the simple fact is that the disposable that I bought was light-years better than the previous experience I'd had, and I was impressed with it. It was warm, tasted like hazelnuts, and had a very smooth feel to the vape. This was the catalyst to reintroduce the world of vaping to me.

After a good two week stretch of largely using the Blu disposables, I had an epiphany. What if my old Joy 510 worked with their cartomizers? I wasn't sure, being that there was a 4 year separation between them and that there was no such thing as a carto when I had tried vaping before. To my delight they fit, and I was fairly satisfied.

That was April 15th, the last day I was a smoker, and the first day I was a vaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment