Follow @Vapifier Tweet to @Vapifier

Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Great Mt Baker Vapor Review: Vanilla Custard.

I'm sorry to say, this is the first juice I've gotten from MBV that I truly disliked. I was really looking forward to this one too, since custard flavors are all the rage these days.

I was excited when this juice came up on my random list of what flavors to order. I've been hearing left and right about custard flavors and I hadn't had any yet, plus I don't know if I've every had a really good vanilla, so hope were high. The color was pink, as many vanillas I've seen tend to be, and it smelled like, well, sweet vanilla, like I expected. I loaded up my Kayfun, took a pull, and... metal. It tasted like some kind of metal, like sucking on a penny. It was awful. I'd only experienced that once, and it was when I got a bottle of that Puro crap they sell in smoke shops. It was pumpkin pie. It's also one of the two bottles I never vaped through.

After my immense disappointment, I figured maybe I just hadn't ever had any real vanilla custard. My wife made me some to compare it to, and if it did indeed taste like what my wife whipped up, it would have been amazing stuff. I started wondering what might be in common between what's essentially pudding and a pumpkin pie, and I think it's nutmeg, which, according to my 5 seconds of internet research and the late, great Julia Child's recipe, doesn't go in vanilla custard, unless it's spiced vanilla custard. I don't think the spice flavor being used, whatever it is, translates well to a vape.

I had to be sure it wasn't just me that had an issue with this flavor, so I took it to my panel (wife, brother, two co-workers). One of them I didn't tell anything about it other than what it was supposed to be. He took a long pull, slowly exhaled, frowned for 5 seconds, and simply stated " Ew. I don't like it." No one liked this one.

I did save this one for last out of my last batch so it had about a week and a half to steep, and maybe it could have gotten better with age, but I'm not really one to want to wait that long to vape something. I tried my best to like it, but even after all 15 mL, I only occasionally tasted vanilla, and that metallic spice thing going on never went away. I did find that it was pretty good if I drank a Coke along side it, strangely enough. I have to give this one a 1/5. Doesn't taste at all like vanilla custard, and I think it would be prudent to put "Spiced" in the name of this juice. Back to the drawing board, guys. I know you could make a killer custard, but it isn't this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment